Derisk has been engaged by the Solomon Islands Government, Ministry of Mines, Energy and Rural Electrification (MMERE) to review and assess options for in-country mineral processing and extraction for lateritic nickel resources located in the country. The agreed scope of work will comprise five stages as follows:
- Review previous and current assessments of in-country mineral processing
- Review the in-country mineral endowment of lateritic nickel resources
- Assess in-country mineral processing options
- Provide policy and training support to MMERE
- Reporting and recommendations
The review is expected to take six months and Derisk will work closely with MMERE staff to assess the potential viability of establishing in-country processing.