Company Name and Address
Derisk Geomining Consultants Pty Ltd
PO Box 264
Red Hill Qld 4059
44 615 606 454
Mark Berry, Principal Geologist
Michele Pilkington, Business Manager
Company Overview and Business Model
Derisk is an independent, privately-owned consulting company servicing the global minerals industry. Our directors, staff and associates have a wealth of experience in exploration, mining, processing, environmental management, and social/community engagement.
Our business strategy is straightforward and effective – We deliver Tier One services without the Tier One price tag because:
- We listen to your plans and provide options that meet your needs, then deliver to our agreed scope, schedule, and budget.
- We ensure that our project team has comprehensive knowledge and the relevant expertise to deliver the appropriate advice and services for your scope of work.
- Our business model is based on a digital office-less structure, a small core team of staff, and an extensive associate base of trusted and experienced mining consultants. This model significantly reduces our business overheads and we pass these cost savings directly to our clients.
Derisk provides advice and services to exploration, mining, advisory, corporate finance, private equity, legal, and regulatory organisations. Our services encompass the full mining value chain from exploration, assessment and feasibility, planning, construction, production, to closure and rehabilitation i.e.:
- Due diligence, reviews, and audits. We perform internal and external technical reviews and audits to support transactions, continuous improvement, and compliance obligations. We can review projects at any stage of development, from early exploration through to mature operations. Our reviews can be desktop or site-based depending on your requirements.
- Expert/Specialist reports and public reporting. If you need a Competent/Qualified Person report to support a listing or reverse takeover, a technical assessment report, or a mineral asset valuation prepared in accordance with international reporting standards/codes such as the JORC Code(1) and the VALMIN Code(2), Derisk can assist. We also undertake compliance checks of internal and third-party reports prepared for stock/securities exchange release.
- Resource/Reserve estimation and studies. Our staff and associates have the expertise to prepare and report Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve estimates for a diverse range of commodities, geological settings, and mining methods. We can also undertake technical studies at a scoping and prefeasibility level, as well as provide technical support in preparing feasibility studies.
- Exploration and mine operations support. Derisk can support your exploration and operations across geology, mining, and metallurgy. If you need assistance in planning and executing exploration programs, or support in grade control, resource estimation, mine planning and scheduling, reserve estimation, process control or reconciliation, we can assist.
- Strategic/organisational planning and management reviews. How many times do you see companies reinventing the wheel, when it comes to strategic technical planning, organisational structure, workflows, management and operational planning, and the like. Derisk staff can provide objective input into your strategic planning processes.
- Technical opportunity and risk assessment. Mining is perceived as a “risky business”. As our company name implies, we are focused on providing advice and services that minimise technical risk and maximise the opportunities associated with better mining and processing of your mineral asset.
- Geological database management. Whether you need short- or long-term support to help manage your geological databases or have specific project requirements, we can assist you. Derisk provides support via a range of software applications, including QA/QC protocols and compliance checking.
- Mentoring and professional development. We provide tailored one-to-one mentoring of early-mid career technical staff and have a range of mentors that can assist you to reach your full potential as a mining industry professional. We also deliver customised professional development workshops that cater for technical and management staff, which can be site-based or capital city-based.
International Experience and Commodity Focus
Our directors and associates have international experience encompassing Australasia, Asia, the Americas, Africa, and Europe. Our team has led/contributed to the estimation and reporting of many resources and reserves, and prepared public reports for the key minerals-focused stock/securities exchanges around the world. Our associate base comprises more than 80 consultants, most with more than 15 years’ industry experience, many with more than 25 years’ experience.
Derisk commenced operation in March 2017 and has secured nearly 200 engagements to date servicing more than 20 countries and 20 commodities.
We have completed projects in Armenia, Australia, Canada, Chile, China, Côte d’Ivoire, Ecuador, Fiji, Ghana, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sweden, Turkey, and the United States of America. Our commodity focus includes bauxite/high purity alumina, coal, copper, copper-gold, gold, heavy minerals, industrial minerals, iron ore, kaolin, lead, lithium, marble, mineral sands, nickel, phosphate, polymetallics, rare earth elements, semi-precious gemstones, silica/high purity silica, silver, tantalum, tin, tungsten, vanadium, and zinc.
Examples of our projects include:
- Independent Geologist Reports (IGRs) to meet Australian Securities Exchange requirements for companies with Australian gold, copper-gold, base metal, and silica exploration assets.
- Independent Technical Reports (ITRs) to meet Canadian NI 43-101 requirements for a company with gold-copper exploration assets in Papua New Guinea.
- Independent qualified person reports (IQPRs) and independent valuation reports (IVRs) to meet Singapore Exchange requirements for companies with gold, tin, and iron ore assets in Malaysia, nickel assets in Indonesia, and copper-gold assets in Australia.
- Technical assessment and mineral asset valuations in accordance with the VALMIN Code for companies with copper, copper-gold, gold, kaolin, iron ore, and nickel assets in Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, and Philippines.
- Technical services and advice to Singapore-based corporate finance groups with respect to Singapore Exchange technical reporting obligations for minerals companies.
- Enterprise valuation for a portfolio of copper and gold assets in Philippines.
- Desk top reviews of early exploration projects in Armenia, Australia, Chile, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, and Solomon Islands for bauxite, copper, gold, iron ore, lithium-tantalum, nickel, silica, and tin.
- Desk top reviews of advanced exploration projects, development projects, and operating mines in Australia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, and Solomon Islands for coal, copper, copper-gold, gold, iron ore, nickel, phosphate, and polymetallics.
- Desk top reviews of Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve estimates for companies with operating gold assets in Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Laos, Papua New Guinea, and Solomon Islands.
- Four-year appointment to independently review the Mineral Resources of a leading Australian ASX-listed gold-copper company.
- Estimation of Mineral Resources for coal, copper, gold, phosphate, and iron ore deposits in Australia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, and Philippines.
- Owner’s expert, reviewing feasibility study planning and outcomes at a Turkish gold-copper project and advisor for a company assessing development of an Armenian gold-polymetallic project.
- Preliminary mining studies and economic evaluations for an Indonesian coal project and several Papua New Guinea gold and gold-copper projects.
- Exploration program design, execution and support for bauxite, copper-gold, tin, and nickel projects in Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Papua New Guinea.
- Mine operations support including strategic planning and metrics development, geological skills mapping, grade control, and reconciliation.
- Strategic planning advice for private companies with assets in Armenia, Australia, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Philippines assessing options for a public listing.
- Development, maintenance, support, and audits of geological databases for exploration clients with projects in Australia, Fiji, and South Africa.
- Development and roll out of regular half-day JORC Code professional development seminars/webinars for the Australian Institute of Geoscientists.
- Delivery of industry-based and company-specific professional development seminars on geological uncertainty and risk assessment, the JORC Code and ASX reporting compliance, Competent Person responsibilities, and Singapore Exchange listing requirements.
- Metallurgical review of testwork completed for a copper heap leach project in north Queensland.
Strategic and operational management of Derisk resides with its directors Mark Berry and Michele Pilkington. Mark is a geologist with over 40 years’ minerals industry experience and Michele is an accomplished business manager with over 30 years’ experience. We do not compromise the quality and integrity of our work.
We have established formal commercial agreements including a consultancy services agreement, sub-consulting and casual employment agreements, and a confidentiality/non-disclosure agreement.
We have professional indemnity and public liability insurance commensurate with our business activities, and Queensland WorkCover insurance for our employees.
Consulting Charges and Incidental Expenses
Derisk offers flexible pricing models including fee-for-service, value-based or cost-plus models depending on the nature of the engagement. Our cost estimates should not be considered as a lump sum bid, except where this is expressly stated. Incidental expenses are charged at cost plus an administration fee of 2.5%.
Terms of Payment
Payment terms vary from milestone-based structures to regular monthly invoices. For new clients, Derisk will often require a prepayment prior to commencement of consulting services. Invoices are to be made by the client within the timeframe specified in the Derisk Services Agreement that accompanies each proposal.
Derisk has Associates based around the world that often minimises the need for international travel. Nevertheless, Derisk staff and associates do travel the world. As part of our risk management process for site visits, we monitor travel advice, and in the case of a travel warning, we will review the travel (including any risk-mitigation measures) and reserve the right to decline travel to any destination where a travel warning is in force.
1 Australasian Code for Reporting of Exploration Results, Mineral Resources and Ore Reserves (The JORC Code), 2012
2 Australasian Code for Public Reporting of Technical Assessments and Valuations of Mineral Assets (The VALMIN Code), 2015